Monday, December 5, 2011

"Compliments" 12" x 12" oil on panel


I have been working in a larger size, 12" x 12", but I still love a bit larger. The tangerine in the jar had a really bright reflected light going across it. I find it a challenge to paint a group of fruit when they each have a varying lighting condition.......reflected light, direct light, light in shadow, reflected fruit. Value is the key as well as the color intensity. I was taught that color was a product of light, however, I find the most brilliant colors in the half tones. Guess I didn't follow the rule here or the front orange would be glowing with orange. Did I break the rule or is this a mistake? If I had made the front orange more intense, then your eyes might not be able to take the jump into the picture to view the rest.

2 comments:

LindaHunt said...

I love your half tones...it is uniquely your style. I love the reflection in the blue bottle that is such a treat.

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Kathryn I think it is perfect, the colors just knocked my socks off! I think the composition is ideal for the subject and the reflected light is wonderfully executed. Wow!
Tina xo