Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I've gone to the dogs!


Well, life goes on and I'm busier with other things besides painting, or at least, trying to finish those paintings. I have received a few pet portrait commissions through FaceBook from some old high school friends. You know, I really like doing this, too. First the client emails me lots of photos, then, we converse about the dog's personally, habits and quirks.  I work up a couple of sketches and drawings in an attempt to capture, without meeting said canine, what I feel would be the best pose. I have decided, based on past experience in painting a mural for a very picky client, to do all the decision making myself with no further contact with the client until the painting is completed. This is my fourth portrait and I haven't had a difficult client yet. I'm, as of yet, not working with a contract and hope that I do not get that busy or have problems that warrant a contract necessary.  One thing I do have in my favor is time.... a June Birthday. So here is the portrait based on this sketch.


I define a sketch as a study in pencil on paper, whereas a drawing, also in pencil, usually takes quite a bit more time and has a more finished quality to it. I have another sketch of this dog, which I see being painted in oils rather flat and more graphic in style. I want to paint this one in gouache with colored markers. 


I just love the shape of his head and body! I thought in the background I would spell out the dog's name the full height of his body with foreshortened letters. I have several cats which are tiger, but through many sketches, I still cannot capture their essence. What was I thinking? The cats know that!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Oh Kathryn, your painting is absolutely the best. I just love it. What a great job you did. JB

martinealison said...

Un bel hommage à nos amis à quatre pattes... De belles captures.
Un gros bisou à vous

dulcy said...

Whoever owns this little guy is going to be thrilled with this portrait! It's realistic, but yet has your thing going on that I just LOVE about your paintings. I need to start something new, and today may be the day. You always inspire me Kathryn!
xo
dulcy