Monday, March 28, 2011

"Charming" 14" x 11" oil on linen


My day didn't start so well. I had an unpleasant dream that started me down that road of negative thoughts. So the best thing to do is get out of the house. I had 4 purchases from etsy which took a bit of time boxing everything up. Found out at the post office that, once again, I had miscalculated my shipping NOT to my advantage. I need to stop guessing and use the scale I purchased and look everything up on the computer. Then on to Trader Joe's and home. I was determined to paint SOMETHING today, and spending time working on a set-up put me in such a foul mood. I don't enjoy inventing still life set ups at all. Sometimes my execution of the paint is going well, then 3 hours into it, I realize the picture is all wrong. It just isn't balanced or interesting. Today I was thinking of what colors I wanted to use....my palette, dirty as it was, still had some mixing space left...and being too lazy to clean and begin again...SO there is a BIG problem right there. Start with a clean palette, no matter what. Sometimes I get so involved in the color mixing that I forget where I was going to put the color. My brush is loaded and ready to make my mark ...and I haven't the foggiest where that color I spent so much time mixing, was supposed to go. Anyway, the painting went a little better once I got started. It's so difficult for me. I have to focus so hard every second. It's so exhausting! I have to have an out loud dialogue with myself on all the decisions I'm making. Whew!

4 comments:

LindaHunt said...

You are truly great! You put into words many of the same things that I experience...it makes me laugh and sigh at the same time. THIS painting is gorgeous. You have such a wonderful use of color and your drawing skills are superb! Nicely done...really makes me think SPRING!

ronnie laforet said...

Thanks for your account of how days can start on the wrong foot and how sometimes paintings go awry. I try to explain this to my family. I usually go to drawing so the entire day is not lost. You are very encouraging with your honesty! most appreciated!

ronnie laforet said...

Thank you for relating how some days start off on the wrong foot, etc. and paintings can go awry. I appreciate hearing it from someone else.

susan jenkins said...

I think your paintings are terrific and i had to laugh when i read your writing about the loaded color and where it was going hahaha, love it, i can so relate to what you wrote, thanks!!
Susan